Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Settling into the Residency

5 August 2021

For the next three months, I'm living three stories high in an apartment in the middle of the Arts Centre in Christchurch. I have three flatmates and we have our own bedrooms with ensuites, shared kitchen and lounge. We're settling into our routines, in between our orientation activities.

Yesterday we were given a tour around the Arts Centre and it's surrounding buildings. We marvelled over the Greek pottery in the University of Canterbury's Teece Museum of Classical Antiquities and were invited to attend lunchtime and Friday afternoon music events there.

 

 

 

 

We visited art company tenants such as The Physics Room (nothing to do with physics, though - they've named their company after the original University building), and toured their current exhibition 'Surfacing' by Emily Parr. She was exploring spaces that have influenced her life.

I discovered the Caird, resting outside The Gym. I regaled my fellow art recipients with Captain Frank Worsley's story from 'Ice Breaker: An Epic Antarctic Adventure'. I may have even found one of the sledges propped up against a wall, too.

 

The James Caird

We also visited The Great Hall and sat on its stage. I'm feeling a little intimidated at the thought of having a book launch there on the 21st August - it's huge! I found Sir Ernest Rutherford's plaque, but not Beatrice Tinsley's - it's mostly men lining the walls.

From L: Maria, Matilda, Nathan and A.J

 

The Great Hall

 

Then we were given a behind the scenes tour of the rebuilding of the Observatory. It's been turned into a boutique hotel and they've just painted the walls bright blues and purples. We were taken up along the scaffolding so we could touch the slate roofing and see close-up the restoration of limestone fittings. Then we trundled down to the basement to see the engine room. A young workman showed us how he carved the limestone and talked about the work they're doing on the buildings.

Art Centre Residents ready for the tour

 

 

 

 

 

 

Afterwards we retired to our rooms to work on our projects. I've been having difficulty with my emails here, which is resulting in my having to change my server. Not what you need when you're away from your techie hubby and emails are the lifeline to your work, family and friends.

We have central heating, comfortable beds, super-hot showers, and all the appliances we need. We're getting to know each other and we're conceptualizing our projects, in order to be clearer in our heads what we're doing. I've so far started a plan, my head is buzzing with the story I'm about to write, and I'm taking lots of notes.

Today I plan to spend the whole day writing - no orientation tours today - and I'll wander down to the Riverside Markets; everyone raves about them. I'll also visit Scorpio books and sign some books. And if there's time in the day, I'll check out the Botanical Gardens. There's so much to see and do around here.

 


1 comment: