Monday, August 2, 2021

On the Road to the Christchurch Arts Residency

Fifi was a great roadie pal

2 August 2021

Earlier in the year I found out I had been awarded the Arts Centre Residency in Christchurch, starting August and finishing in October.  My good friend Fifi Colston suggested I take my car down. 

"Oh no, it's too long a drive," I said.

"I'll come with you," said Fifi, "it'll be fun!"

So, on Wednesday 28th July, I picked Fifi up from the airport and we first drove to Scholastic. We sat in Lynette's office, along with Penny and Abby, and had a wonderful time reminiscing about past and future books. While talking I admired the beautiful posters decorating the walls. Then I turned around and saw lots of posters from books that I had written.

"It's practically the Maria Gill wall," said Penny.

And it was, they had posters from most of the books I had published with Scholastic: Anzac Heroes, Anzac Animals, Kate Sheppard, Abel Tasman, and our latest Remarkable Animals from New Zealand and Australia. Fifi was delighted with the Yellow Digger and Marvellous Marvin posters and accessories.

National Army Museum
Then we were off, driving to Taupo. That night we had dinner with Donovan Bixley and his wife Jo, Tina Shaw and her husband, and Kathy White and her artist friend Ken. Fifi and I were thrilled to see Donovan's latest book and pored over it, while the waiters were placing our dishes in front of us.

The next day, we had morning tea with Fifi's delightfully mischievous mother, and then we were back on the road again. We stopped for a brief dip at thermal pools, signed books at the National Army Museum and arrived in Wellington late that afternoon.

Seals along the motorway
 

 

The next morning we caught the ferry across to Picton, took photographs of seals on the motorway down South, had blue cod fish for lunch in Kaikoura and drinks with Jenny Cooper and her partner at her gorgeous place in Amberley. Fifi had a sneak peek at Jenny's studio and we admired Jenny's stunning collection of artwork on her walls and shelves.

Kaikoura
Kaikoura
 
 
 
 

For the next two nights we stayed at Fifi's wonderful mother-in-law's place. 

Saturday night we had dinner with Tania Roxborogh along with her hubby and friend. Her gorgeous dog tried to hug me. We thoroughly enjoyed talking books with Tania and hearing how passionate she is with her teaching.

Kathryn Mansfield House
Kathryn Mansfield's bike
Fifi left to travel to Nelson the next morning, and I drove to the Kate Sheppard House. What a stunning house - they've changed it into a museum to honour Kate Sheppard's memories. I listened to a talk from one of Kate's relatives, signed loads of my Kate Sheppard book, and bought some white camellias to brighten my residency room.

The Art Centre Residents
That afternoon I walked to the Arts Centre to get a feel for my new home. It has a cinema, bar, and museum around it ... and probably loads more, which I'll find out over the next few days.

The Arts Centre
The other art residents are all artists:  A J Fitzwater, a speculative fiction author; Matilda Fraser, a visual artist and art writer; Nathan Joe, a playwright, performance poet, theatre-maker and theatre critic; and me. 
 
 
 
 

 


    
 
 
 
I'll be writing a children's story about New Zealand's most famous scientist - Sir Ernest Rutherford. The Arts Centre has a Sir Ernest Rutherford replica den; I know I'll be spending lots of time there.
I'll give updates and dates while I'm here - I hope you'll come along with my journey.

 
My book for sale at the Kate Sheppard House

 

 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment