Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Speed-date-an-Author with New Zealand Book Council

Last Friday and the Monday just gone, I had the wonderful opportunity to be part of a 'speed-date-an-author' event.  Five authors:  Melinda Szymanik, Janice Marriott, Dylan Horrocks, Mark Somerset, myself and photographer Darryl Torckler presented a writing skill to a group of 12 students for 20 minutes.  At the sound of the bell, the students moved to the next author and learnt a new skill.  Students found out how to use pictures for inspiration, collaborate with other people on a book, structure their stories, liven up their language, create fascinating characters and take a spark of an idea and get started.  The 27 schools from around the Auckland region paid $20 per student to take part in the programme.  At the end they received a certificate and some lucky students won a book.

This is the second time I've participated in this type of workshop and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  Students asked for autographs afterwards and judging by their faces and enthusiasm - I would say they found it a rewarding experience. I'll look forward to seeing the competition entries to see if they've used any of the tips I gave. Thanks to New Zealand Book Council and the National Library for sponsoring these events.

5 comments:

  1. I was suggested this weblog by my cousin. I'm not certain whether or not this publish is written by him as no one else know this kind of comprehensive about my issue. You are incredible! Thanks! your article about Very best Regards Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your composing style, wonderful information, value the idea for submitting. Your central self is completely untouched Simply by grief, confusion, desperation. by Vernon Howard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ive just been looking for info about this topic to get a whilst and yours is the greatest Ive discovered so far. But, are you certain about the source

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply wanna input that you simply possess a very nice website , I the fashion and style it really stands out.

    ReplyDelete