Wednesday, March 21, 2012

South Island Tour - Zero to Hero



Reading from 'The Call of the Kokako'

I've just come back from touring the lower South Island schools and libraries with my talk 'Zero to Hero'.  I talked to Primary-aged, and Intermediate-aged students about how heroes began with a dream at their age and through hard work and determination they were successful. I also talked to them about the heroes in my books 'New Zealand Hall of Fame' and 'The Call of the Kokako'. I told them that I believe conservationists are heroes as well because they prevent our endangered wildlife from becoming zero populations (and aim to reduce predator populations to zero).  The puppets were a great way of engaging the students - and really show how vulnerable our wildlife are.  I also get students to guess who the remarkable kiwi is from my 'New Zealand Hall of Fame' book by showing them a baby photo of that person then giving them clues.  I try to make my talks engaging, interactive and fun.  Judging by the smiling faces - it looked like it was working.

No comments:

Post a Comment